3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons red liquid food coloring
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Add food coloring and vanilla, beating until blended.
- 2. Whisk together flour and next 4 ingredients; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Spoon batter into 4 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
- 3. Bake all pans at the same time, with 2 pans on top rack and 2 pans on bottom rack, at 350° for 10 minutes; rotate pans, and bake 10 to 12 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
- 4. Spread about 1 cup Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting between cake layers; spread remaining frosting on top and sides of cake.