- Chocolate Cake Mix (any chocolate flavor)
- Brownie Mix (13×9 Family Size)
- 2 cans of chocolate frosting (any chocolate flavor – dark, milk, fudge…etc)
- 5 eggs (for the cake and brownie mix)
- Veg oil (for the mixes)
- One 12oz package of Nestle Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Two (or three) 8″ round pans
Make the Cake & the Brownie:
1. Make the chocolate cake according to the box. Pour batter evenly into two lightly greased 8″ round pans and bake at 350 degrees for 32-37 minutes. Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a plate to cool completely.
2. Make the brownie mix according to the package. Pour entire brownie batter into one (1) lightly greased 8″ round pan. Make sure the brownie pan is the same size as the cake pans that you used! Bake the brownie at 350 degrees for 25-27 minutes. Watch the brownies carefully as not to overcook them but make sure they aren’t completely doughy in the center.Cool in pan for 15 minutes before transferring to a plate to cool completely. I found it was easiest to remove the brownie carefully using a wide spatula underneath.
Assemble the Cake:
3. Pick the plate you want the cake to be displayed on and start with one (1) cake layer. Frost the top of the cake layer with about 1/3 of one of the frosting containers. Sprinkle a handful of chocolate chips on that layer. (Note: Any chopped up candy – Reese’s, M&Ms, Heath Bits etc can be substituted for the chocolate chips to add another flavor!) Carefully place the brownie layer on top of the cake layer.
4. Frost the top of the brownie layer with about 1/3 of one of the frosting containers. Sprinkle a handful of chocolate chips on that layer. Carefully place the 2nd cake layer on top of the brownie layer. Carefully frost the top of the cake with the remaining 1/3 of the frosting container.
5. Spread the entire 2nd container of frosting on the sides and top of the cake. BEFORE THE FROSTING SETS, you need to apply the chocolate chips to the outside. Take a handful of chocolate chips at a time and firmly press against the side of the cake until most of the chips stick. Some chips will fall to the plate and you will use those to fill in the holes.
6. Repeat this process around the entire cake. Take the fallen chips and the chips that you have left and fill in the holes and sprinkle on top.
7. That’s it! You will be the hit of the birthday, holiday or occasion!! Enjoy! Look at the inside brownie layer!!! To Die For!!!