- Prep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + standing
- Yield: 30 Servings
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 to 3 tablespoons warm water
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs and water; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a large heavy saucepan, combine water and corn syrup; bring just to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat; whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate. Stir in 1 cup of icing and 1 tablespoon warm water until smooth. (Icings will thicken as they stand; stir in additional water, 1 teaspoon at a time, to thin if necessary.)
- Spoon chocolate icing over half of each cookie; spread evenly. Spoon vanilla icing over the remaining half of cookies; spread evenly. Let stand until set.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert #2 round pastry tip. Fill the bag with remaining vanilla icing; pipe a spider web onto the chocolate half of each cookie.
- Using another bag, pipe spiders onto cookies with remaining chocolate icing. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts1 cookie equals 218 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 120 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.